Happy New Year from all of us at the Chanate Sewer Project!
In this issue:
- Sewer pipeline installation on Strawberry Drive
- Potholing on Chanate Road
- Underground boring continuing
- Overall project schedule
* NOTE* Scheduling information shown is subject to change due to weather or unforeseen circumstances
Sewer pipeline installation on Strawberry Drive
Crews will start next week on installation of sewer pipelines on Strawberry Drive. That work is expected to continue through mid-January. Affected residents on Strawberry Drive have been notified of this work.
Potholing on Chanate Road
In preparation for installation of the new water main, crews will be performing potholing on Chanate Road between approximately Belvedere Way and Terra Linda Drive, starting next week. Potholing consists of digging small test holes at various locations on the roadway to expose and identify underground utilities, prior to excavating for the new pipeline. This takes place for an estimated two weeks, and only very short, periodic traffic delays are expected.
Underground boring continuing
The work to horizontally bore and install main sewer pipeline is continuing, at a depth of up to 40-feet. The work currently underway is at the Belvedere Way/Humboldt Street/Chanate Road “island” and has only minimal impact on traffic. Please be watchful for crews and equipment as you pass this site.
Overall project schedule
The Chanate Sewer Replacement Project has always been planned to be an approximately two-year project (the detour being only a portion of that time). The overall project remains on schedule for completion in summer of 2022.
Below is a summary of the primary work elements still to be accomplished. As the project moves forward, work will involve single lane/2-way traffic control with flaggers; motorists should expect short delays. Trenches will be plated and roadways fully reopened to traffic at the end of each work day and on weekends.
Please exercise additional caution when traveling on Chanate Road or other streets where work is taking place. Watch for crews and equipment, be aware of signage and flaggers, and always observe the posted speed limits.
Schedules are subject to change.
- Temporary lane markings and restriping on parts of Chanate Road (permanent markings and striping to take place later) – starting during the next one-to-two weeks
- Install sewer pipes on:
- Strawberry Lane – begins early January 2022, continuing for an estimated two weeks
- Chanate Road between approximately Lomitas Avenue and Slater Street – begins mid-January 2022
- Mendocino Avenue – begins late January 2022, continuing into mid-February
- Lomitas Lane – begins early February 2022, continuing for several weeks
- Replace water main on Chanate Road between Terra Linda Drive and Belvedere Way – potholing begins the second week of January, with subsequent pipeline installation expected to continue through late February
- Repave/resurface roadways which were disrupted during construction – begins late February 2022, continuing for approximately one month (final timing dependent on weather and completion of other work)
- Abandon the old sewer pipeline (filling with concrete) – expected to take place mid-June through mid-July 2022 (start date regulated by California Department of Fish and Wildlife)