In this issue:
- Underground boring is complete!
- Sewer pipeline installation on Strawberry Drive starts February 7
- Potholing on Chanate Road starts Monday
- Updated overall project schedule
* NOTE* All schedules are subject to change due to weather or other circumstances
Underground boring is complete!
The underground boring and installation of main sewer pipeline on Chanate Road, most recently at the Belvedere Way/Humboldt Street/Chanate Road “island,” has been completed. This is a major milestone, marking the end of all underground boring activity for this project.
This part of the construction has been the most challenging, with work crews at the bottom of bore pits at depths reaching 40-feet, and situations with unexpected underground soil conditions and unanticipated giant boulders directly in the path of the pipeline. Despite these issues, crews persevered and completed this part of the project.
There is some remaining surface work that is taking place in the vicinity of the triangle at Belvedere Way/Humboldt Street/Chanate Road. Once that work is completed – over the next one-to-two weeks – the detour of westbound Chanate Road at this location will be opened (anticipated for early February).
Potholing on Chanate Road starts Monday
Potholing (small test holes in the roadway to identify underground utilities) on Chanate Road between approximately Belvedere Way and Terra Linda Drive is scheduled to get underway Monday, January 24, in preparation for installation of the new water main. Potholing will take up to two weeks, with only short, periodic traffic delays expected. Then, the water main pipeline installation is anticipated to get underway in mid-February and continue into early March. During that work, motorists should expect traffic control and minor delays.
Sewer pipeline installation on Strawberry Drive starts February 7
The start of installation of sewer pipeline on Strawberry Drive has been pushed to Monday February 7, and will continue for one-to-two weeks. Affected residents on Strawberry Drive are being notified of this work and the change in schedule.
Updated overall project schedule
The Chanate Sewer Replacement Project was planned as an approximately two-year project, and is on schedule for completion in summer of 2022. Below is an updated summary of the primary work elements still to be accomplished. As the project moves forward, work on and around Chanate Road will involve periodic single lane/2-way traffic control with flaggers; motorists should expect short delays. Trenches will be plated and roadways fully reopened to traffic at the end of each work day and on weekends.
NOTE: Schedules are subject to change.
- Install sewer pipes on:
- Strawberry Lane – starts February 7
- Chanate Road between approximately Lomitas Avenue and Slater Street – begins mid/late February
- Mendocino Avenue – begins late February
PLEASE NOTE: construction activity on Mendocino Avenue will primarily be night work, from 10 pm to 6 am, with traffic control. Watch for changes in lane configurations, equipment, and work crews.
- Lomitas Lane – begins in March
- Replace water main on Chanate Road between Terra Linda Drive and Belvedere Way – potholing starts January 24, with subsequent pipeline installation expected to begin in mid-February
- Repave/resurface roadways which were disrupted during construction – anticipated to begin late March 2022, continuing for approximately one month (final timing dependent on weather and completion of other work)
- Abandon the old sewer pipeline (filling with concrete) – expected to take place mid-June through mid-July 2022 (start date regulated by California Department of Fish and Wildlife)
Please exercise additional caution when traveling on Chanate Road and other streets where work is taking place. Watch for crews and equipment, be aware of signage, flaggers, and lane changes. Observe posted speed limits, and never drive faster than is safe for the conditions.