In this issue:
- Street resurfacing underway as project nears completion
- Sunday work in parking lot at 2602 Mendocino Avenue
- Updated overall project schedule
NOTE All schedules are subject to change due to weather or other circumstances
Street resurfacing underway as project nears completion
The Chanate Sewer Project is quickly nearing completion, and one of the final phases – road resurfacing – is underway. This includes road surface preparation, concrete work (curbs, gutters, sidewalks), and asphalt resurfacing of the roadways which were disrupted during construction (see tentative, updated schedule below).
During the asphalt work, there will be lane closures, including for a period of hours after resurfacing as the new surface cools and sets. In all cases, after resurfacing there will be follow-up work for up to several weeks, to finalize the roadway, finish concrete work, and raise manholes and other elements to the new street surface level (“raising iron”).
Lomitas Lane resurfacing is expected to be completed today (June 3), followed by concrete work for the next two weeks, then raising iron. Lomitas Avenue preparation work is underway, with asphalt work scheduled to take place June 8, and follow-up work through late June. During Lomitas Avenue work, residents of Lomitas Lane will be able to exit and enter their street via Lomitas Avenue, with the exception of short periods while Lomitas Avenue paving is directly at the point where the two roads meet. Please be patient with any short delays, and follow directions of flaggers who are there to assist with traffic flow.
- During resurfacing throughout the project area, please watch for single-lane traffic control, flaggers, and equipment, and allow extra time to get to and from your destinations.
- This resurfacing work will cause unavoidable significant equipment noise, especially during grinding of the road surface.
Sunday work in parking lot at 2602 Mendocino Avenue
Project-related construction has been taking place in the parking lot at 2602 Mendocino Avenue during the day on Sundays, to reduce the impact to the businesses served by the parking lot. The final day of significant work at that location is scheduled for June 5, followed by resurfacing on Sunday, June 12 (predicted rain may move these two work items to 6/12 and 6/26). The work is not expected to affect traffic on Mendocino Avenue. Nearby neighbors may hear construction noise.
Updated overall project schedule
The two-year Chanate Sewer Replacement Project is on schedule for completion early this summer. Below is an updated summary of the primary work elements underway or still to be accomplished.
Reminder: all schedules are subject to change
due to weather or other circumstances
- Related construction in parking lot at 2602 Mendocino Avenue – 6/5 and 6/12 (rain may move this work to 6/12 and 6/26)
- Installation of ADA curb ramps, various locations – underway, through mid-June
- Road surface preparation, concrete work, and resurfacing of roadways which were disrupted during construction (tentative schedules – subject to change):
- Lomitas Lane: resurfacing through 6/3; follow up work for two subsequent weeks
- Lomitas Avenue: preparation underway; asphalt work 6/8; follow-up work through late June
- Strawberry Drive: preparation and asphalt work 6/6 – 6/7
- Chanate Road: preparation/grinding 6/9 – 6/10; asphalt work 6/13 – 6/14
- Mendocino Avenue: grinding/asphalt work 6/15 – 6/16
- Private drive off Lomitas Avenue – resurfacing 6/10
- Abandon the old sewer pipeline (filling with concrete) – expected to start by mid-June (start date regulated by California Department of Fish and Wildlife), with completion expected by early July.
Please exercise additional caution when traveling on Chanate Road and other streets where work is taking place. Watch for crews and equipment, be aware of signage, flaggers, and lane changes. Observe posted speed limits, and never drive faster than is safe for the conditions.