In this issue:
- Street resurfacing underway – project nearing completion!
- Sunday work in parking lot at 2602 Mendocino Avenue
- Updated overall project schedule
NOTE All schedules are subject to change due to weather or other circumstances
Street resurfacing underway – project nearing completion!
The Chanate Sewer Project is quickly nearing completion, and one of the final phases – road resurfacing – is underway. This includes road surface preparation, concrete work (curbs, gutters, sidewalks), and asphalt resurfacing of the roadways which were disrupted during construction (see tentative, updated schedule below).
During the asphalt work, there will be lane closures, including for a period of hours after resurfacing as the new surface cools and sets. In all cases, after resurfacing there will be follow-up work for up to several weeks, to finalize the roadway, finish concrete work, and raise manholes and other elements to the new street surface level (“raising iron”).
Lomitas Lane and Lomitas Avenue resurfacing is completed, with follow up concrete and raising iron work underway for the next two weeks. Resurfacing of Strawberry Drive and Plum Drive is also finished, with follow up work underway. During paving of surrounding streets, access to Plum Drive will be maintained – please watch for flaggers and signage.
Yesterday and today (Friday 6/10) Chanate Road is undergoing grinding and some resurfacing. The resurfacing is scheduled to continue this coming Monday 6/13 and Tuesday 6/14. There will be significant noise and lane closures on Chanate during grinding and resurfacing.
The ~500 foot segment of Mendocino Avenue north of Chanate Road is scheduled for preparation and resurfacing on 6/15 and 6/16.
- During resurfacing throughout the project area, please watch for single-lane traffic control, flaggers, equipment, and rough roadways, and allow extra time to get to and from your destinations.
- This resurfacing work will cause unavoidable significant equipment noise, especially during grinding of the road surface.
Sunday work in parking lot at 2602 Mendocino Avenue
Project-related construction has been taking place in the parking lot at 2602 Mendocino Avenue during the day on Sundays, to reduce the impact to the businesses served by the parking lot. Final construction there will take place this Sunday, June 12 (delayed due to recent rain), with resurfacing to be scheduled for later this month. The work is not expected to affect traffic on Mendocino Avenue. Nearby neighbors may hear construction noise.
Updated overall project schedule
The two-year Chanate Sewer Replacement Project is on schedule for completion early this summer. Below is an updated summary of the primary work elements underway or still to be accomplished.
Reminder: all schedules are subject to change
due to weather or other circumstances
- Installation of ADA curb ramps, various locations – underway, through June
- Resurfacing and/or follow up work on roadways that were disrupted during construction (subject to change):
- Lomitas Lane, Lomitas Avenue, Strawberry Drive, Plum Drive: follow-up work underway
- Chanate Road: preparation/grinding 6/10; asphalt work 6/10, 13, 14
- Mendocino Avenue: grinding/asphalt work 6/15 – 6/16
- Construction in parking lot at 2602 Mendocino Avenue – 6/12
- Abandon the old sewer pipeline (filling with concrete) – expected to start by mid-June (start date regulated by California Department of Fish and Wildlife), with completion expected by early July.
Please exercise additional caution when traveling on Chanate Road and other streets where work is taking place. Watch for crews and equipment, be aware of signage, flaggers, and lane changes. Observe posted speed limits, and never drive faster than is safe for the conditions.